Competition Poem

  Not very many people have been posting lately, so I've been double-posting to make up for it.  {You KNOW you're bored when you do that!}  I just got back from church, finished my homework, made a BBQ sandwich, & now I'm preparing for the day ahead of me tomorrow.  This poem I wrote for a competition this summer (Patriot Day) and it actually won first place!  I won $75 for this poem.  Anyhow, I'm re-entering this for competition.
___________________________________________________________________________________
An Unforgotten Hero
                                                                                      Written By: Ashley Current
(Dedicated to my grandfather, Lloyd Hawkins)

He is getting very old, and his hair is falling fast;
We sit around and listen to the stories from the past—
Of the war that he had fought in, and the deeds that he had done,
The deployments with his buddies – they were heroes, every one.

He served His God and country, in poverty, war, and strife;
With courage, he stood boldly, offering up his life.
My Grandpy never gave up – for he fought until the end.
Fighting for our freedom, important to defend.

Through Grandpy’s character, and freedom that’s been won,
With inspiration, he’s taught his very own grandson.
Who’s chosen now to follow within our grandpa’s tracks;
Courageously fighting for freedom, and never turning back.

And though to all his grandkids, he makes his tales a joke,
All of us admire every word he’s ever spoke.
We’ll hear his tales no longer, when my Grandpy passes on,
He’s a hero in my heart, and will be when he’s gone.

7 comments:

Sam said...

inspiring..

Anonymous said...

You did a great job writing the poem. I'm proud of you and I'm sure grampy is too!

ryan said...

You should put the poem he we recorded on the phone of him talking on her its amazing

Ashley Nicole said...

Thanks, Grandma! :)
Can't wait to come down this weekend!! :)

Thanks, Sam!

And Ryan, I don't know where that recording is. Do we still have it? lol

Bree Marie Whitehouse said...

hey Ash here is my new blog!

http://funchristianfriends.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

That's really good! I don't know how people can write poems, I stink at it!

Ashley Nicole said...

Thanks Kayla! :)